Notes From the Janery Studio
In my job as a maker and creative business owner, I'm always discovering other unique and fabulous small businesses. These are some of my favorite gifts for smart girls this year, from babies through pre-teens!
- Astronaut Dress / Svaha: Looking for girls clothes that celebrate more than princesses? These fun STEM-inspired clothes come in a variety of styles, from onesies to swing dresses. My daughter needs to hurry up and grow into hers! PS: They even have matching mother-daughter sets!
- Mother-Daughter Journal / Gadanke: This inspiring journal company, based in Montana, has several creative journals for kids. The owner, Katie, is one of the first friends I made on my business-owning journey and I can testify that she's truly passionate about helping people celebrate (and record) their stories!
- Elemental Blocks / Plumfield Shop: Hand crafted in Michigan, these wooden blocks contain the periodic table with atomic numbers, symbols, and names. Perfect for kids from young to old!
- Wooden Puzzle Stacker / Grimm's: This German toy company makes so many amazing stacking and Waldorf-style toys, I had trouble picking one to highlight here. Choose from Flower, Waves, Fire, and more shapes that will grow with your child's imaginary play. PS: You can find a lot of them on Amazon!
- Create Your Own Lip Balm Kit / Handcrafted Honeybee: This American-made DIY skincare kit company is serious about empowering girls through science! I would have loved this kit . . . wait, who am I kidding? I'd still like to have a go at making my own lip balm or face masks. PS: They also sell actual skin care products - their natural deodorant is my weapon of choice for protecting my underarms!
- Building Brick Robots Fit & Flare Dress: Another favorite from Svaha Clothing, this purple and yellow number has fun, Lego-like robots and my daughter loves hers!
If you've got favorite gifts for kids that aren't mentioned here, I'd love to hear from you on Facebook or Instagram.
And don't forget to shop small and American-made, this holiday season and every day!
Think outside the big box with these unique pet gifts that you won't find at your average chain store!
It's time to think about holiday shopping! When I'm choosing gifts for people and their pets, I like to support handmade and American made small businesses as much as possible. Here are my favorite pet gifts for this year!
With the exception of the Zombie Dog Toy, everything in our pet gift guide is Made in the USA, mostly by small, handmade businesses!
For the Discerning Dog:
- Collar Bling / Brooklyn Bowtied: Dress up your pup with these fabulous bow ties, handmade in New York City with on-trend fabrics sourced straight from the fabric district. It's definitely easier than trying to talk your pup into a 3-piece suit!
- The Merlin Mat / Janery: Our washable designer crate mats fly off the shelves at the holidays. They're great for travel, so your pup can have the comforts of home when you're on the road.
- Zombie / HuggleHounds: Every year, this textured squeaky ball dog toy is a must in our Amber's stocking. Her "Monster" is the only toy she will play with, and when we run out - or one goes missing under the couch - we've got one moody Poodle on our hands!
For the Classy Cat:
- Wool Jingle Ball / Redhead & Blue: These hand-felted wool cat balls have a hidden jingle ball for extra fun. They can be scented (and re-scented) with catnip oil, and your kitty will love sinking his claws into them!
- Shark Bed / The Cat Ball: Your kitty's new favorite hideout will be the talk of your holiday party! A kitty cave with ridiculous style and humor - what could be better for the cat who likes to think she's hiding from you?
- The Catnip Kicker / Janery: Our very own 10" catnip logs are a popular stocking stuffer for lucky cats! The organic catnip leaf is finely ground so there's no sharp stems to worry about, and the long size means the toughest cat can still enjoy wrestling it.
For Fabulous Pet Parents:
- Lupine Collars & Leashes: Upgrade your cat or dog's collar with these colorful, American-made collars and leashes that are guaranteed, even when chewed! The replacement guarantee, coupled with their modern styles and USA manufacturing has had me a loyal customer for over 10 years.
- Custom Pet Portrait / Yellow Brick Home: These tiny (and not-so-tiny) pet paintings by Kim Vargo are the ultimate gift to celebrate you best 4-footed friend. When I lost my Charlie, I treated myself to an 8" painting that now graces my desk and warms my heart daily. PS: Paintings are already sold out for the year, but a gift certificate is a great option!
- Candle / Sydney Hale: Your guests will never know you've got pets if you light up one of these candles before entertaining! These scented candles are my go-to for hiding lingering pet odors. One smell and I guarantee you'll be as hooked as I am. Bonus: This small, Virginia-based company is very active with pet rescue!
Please note: I do not receive compensation for sharing any of these items with you. I just want people to shop small, and shop local, this holiday season - and all year round!