At Janery, we design, develop, and manufacture pet products that inspire an elevated lifestyle of enduring comfort.
We do this through ethical and ecological manufacturing, high-integrity design details, and a relentless commitment to helping pets—and their families—feel beautifully and easily at home.
And by working with amazing sewists, designers, and assistants. And animals.
Do you love to sew? And love pets? And love getting paid to sew products for pets? Well then, I’d love to meet you.
Allow me to introduce my company.
Janery is a luxury pet brand focused on high-quality, small-batch, ethically made pet products. We make it easy for pet owners to live beautifully with high-integrity products that stand the test of time, discerning style, and real life.
This isn’t your average sewing assignment.
Remember how last year pet adoption rates absolutely skyrocketed? In one summer, the entire country realized just how good puppy kisses and cat purrs are for the soul. And just like that, stylish pet owners become more aware of how much nicer life can be when pet beds are easily washable, waterproof, delightfully detailed, and ethically made.
We’re looking for enthusiastic part-time sewing assistants to help create lasting comfort for pets—and their people—around the country.
We know the quality that shows up in every stitch placed by people who love what they do—and there’s so much to love about what we do here.
Let’s chat if you have:
1. The right equipment.
We use a serger or overlock machine and a sewing machine with the ability to perform straight stitching. An industrial straight stitch or heavy-duty home sewing machine is recommended, but not required.
2. The chops.
Must have experience sewing upholstery canvas, polyester batting, and minky fleece (with stretch). And also zippers- both invisible and upholstery.
3. An eye for detail.Are you a stickler for straight, even stitches, correct thread tension, and keeping your machine in top condition? (Wow, us too!)
4. A profound appreciation for batch production.Sewing the same thing over and over in batches doesn’t have to be boring—it’s a game of efficiency (that pairs well with your favorite audiobook or soundtrack).
We won’t tell you how to do your job, but trust us on this one, batch production will help you big time. And if you have some tricks to share, we’d love to hear them!
5. A revered respect for deadlines.
We are small business. You and I. You and the customer you’re sewing for.
When you sew for Janery, you’re stitching quite a story into every product you make—and we need that story to start on time.
All deadlines will be clearly communicated ahead of time. It will be up to you to manage your schedule and bandwidth. Your story is important, too!
The nitty gritty (aka the chemistry test).
- We work with sewists in the Northern VA / Washington DC / Frederick MD area. Janery is headquartered near Winchester, VA.
- This is a 1099 contract position. You complete the work in your own home or studio and on your own schedule based on deadlines agreed upon in advance. You will be as busy as you want to be!
- You must have a smoke-free, clean workspace. Products must be returned free of odors, pet hair, or other dirt.
- You are responsible for machine maintenance and scissors. Janery will provide the patterns / instructional guides, pre-cut fabric, and thread.
- You will be required to submit your tax form and sign an NDA before work begins. No, we’re not celebrities (ahem, yet). The NDA is about not disclosing our sources, patterns, and approaches to making the products.
- *Not required, but necessary to understand in case it makes or breaks it for you: Janery believes in fair wages and equal treatment of all people. We are LGBTQIA+ allies. We believe Black Lives Matter.
Pay is per piece, determined by a previously-completed time study (usually between $16-$22 per hour, depending on skill level). We pay promptly upon receipt of completed work.
So far, so great?
Apply now! Selected applicants will be contacted, then sent a sample assignment to assess skill, efficiency, and overall work product—and we’ll compensate you for your efforts, even if it doesn’t work out. Those passing the sample test will be offered a position—and we will purr and yip with joy. We hope you will, too.