In my job as a maker and creative business owner, I'm always discovering other unique and fabulous small businesses. These are some of my favorite gifts for smart girls this year, from babies through pre-teens!
- Astronaut Dress / Svaha: Looking for girls clothes that celebrate more than princesses? These fun STEM-inspired clothes come in a variety of styles, from onesies to swing dresses. My daughter needs to hurry up and grow into hers! PS: They even have matching mother-daughter sets!
- Mother-Daughter Journal / Gadanke: This inspiring journal company, based in Montana, has several creative journals for kids. The owner, Katie, is one of the first friends I made on my business-owning journey and I can testify that she's truly passionate about helping people celebrate (and record) their stories!
- Elemental Blocks / Plumfield Shop: Hand crafted in Michigan, these wooden blocks contain the periodic table with atomic numbers, symbols, and names. Perfect for kids from young to old!
- Wooden Puzzle Stacker / Grimm's: This German toy company makes so many amazing stacking and Waldorf-style toys, I had trouble picking one to highlight here. Choose from Flower, Waves, Fire, and more shapes that will grow with your child's imaginary play. PS: You can find a lot of them on Amazon!
- Create Your Own Lip Balm Kit / Handcrafted Honeybee: This American-made DIY skincare kit company is serious about empowering girls through science! I would have loved this kit . . . wait, who am I kidding? I'd still like to have a go at making my own lip balm or face masks. PS: They also sell actual skin care products - their natural deodorant is my weapon of choice for protecting my underarms!
- Building Brick Robots Fit & Flare Dress: Another favorite from Svaha Clothing, this purple and yellow number has fun, Lego-like robots and my daughter loves hers!
If you've got favorite gifts for kids that aren't mentioned here, I'd love to hear from you on Facebook or Instagram.
And don't forget to shop small and American-made, this holiday season and every day!