Meet Janery’s Newest Sewist & Shop for A Cause
Have you ever heard someone tell their life story and thought to yourself,
“I can’t believe they went through that.”
And then, to your even greater disbelief, the story-sharer finishes their retelling with a smile on their face and genuine hope for the future — like they didn’t go through the most unimaginable experience that would leave anyone else utterly discouraged?
As I’ve gotten to know Rukhsara, Janery’s new sewing assistant, her story has shaken me to my core. And I couldn’t sit by without doing something about it.
Out of compassion and respect for Rukhsara, I won’t share the details of her story. But here’s what I can say: Rukhsara fled Afghanistan last year with her husband and three children. They sought refuge with nothing but a backpack of essentials. In the most literal sense, this family is starting from scratch.
And while Rukhsara and her husband are actively working hard to secure permanent employment (a process made exceptionally challenging, given their unique circumstances), the right job has proven difficult to find. That’s where Janery’s newest product comes in….
As we got to know each other, I trained Rukhsara, a talented sewist, to stitch these amazing eye pillows that just hit the Janery shelves. Not only did she earn a fair wage for her effort— 50% of the total selling price will also go straight to her family.
These little eye pillows will go a long way towards helping this family of five settle into their new lives. Because when you empower a mother, you change a whole generation.
- Chic 100% cotton or cotton flannel fabric neatly fits the contour of your face
- Gently weighted with organic rice — just pop it in the microwave for relieving warmth, or store it in the freezer for soothing cool
- Enjoy the decadent, sinus-clearing power of organic dried lavender buds (optional)
- This luxe pillow makes a thoughtful gift for someone you love, or the ultimate relaxation experience for some much needed “me time.”
And with 50% of every sale going straight to the sewist who stitched it, it’s a self-care purchase that’s anything but selfish!
In the world I dream of…
- Every person has the opportunity to do meaningful work — and earn a livable wage for their effort.
- Every mother has the flexibility she needs to care for her family while doing her best work.
- And every business makes an intentional effort to give more than it takes.
Thank you for helping me make our little corner of the world a better place.